Shaking Up The Classroom
For the second year running, a 3rd Grade teacher at the Patricia A. DiChiaro School in Westchester, NY, used Shake-a-Phrase for a Halloween creative writing exercise in her classroom. Mrs. Colacicco, shook up a bunch of Monster-themed Story Starters, printed the individual Starter screens, and engaged her class in a collaborative writer’s workshop. Using the story prompts, the students worked together in groups of 2-3, to imagine and write their own creepy and silly story endings.
- Get kids thinking creatively
- Get kids writing and/or drawing
- Reinforce writing process and habits
- Reinforce vocabulary as they work on their stories
The result: a fun, themed activity to engage kids and nurture their natural creative writing instincts.
Recipe to launch your own Shake-a-Phrase creative writing project in your class or at home:
- Shake up your favorite Shake-a-Phrase theme with Story Starter and get the creative juices flowing.
- Save your favorites using the Fave feature.
- Share on your class whiteboard or print out story starters for the class to choose from.
- Arm the kids with pens, keyboards, paint, paper and other instruments of creativity.
- Turn them loose.
- Add structure to taste.
The activity stirs up students' creative juices and gets kids exercising their storytelling skills – with a spooky dash of holiday fun. The result: a fun, themed activity to engage kids and nurture their natural creative writing instincts.
Read some of the kids' stories
There was a puny bogeyman any feeble sandman camping. They were in a pit. They camped till morning and got in a fight.More...
A crying kraken was on the moon and he found the griffin and the kraken was so scared he ran from him and then he started floating and he was happyMore...
One day Mr. Snake was at his job working. Then, Mr. Snake went to the library. All of a sudden Mr. Snake bumped into someone.More...
A curious robot and a fabulous cyclops were cooking in the laboratory. They found a piece of steak from another dimension.More...
One night a sneaky spirit and a big jack-o-lantern were walking into a haunted house.More...